Ingredients (Items in bold can be purchased from Grobe Fruit Farm when in season)
For the Salad
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, cored, with first 2 layers of outer leaves removed
- 2 large salad-friendly apples (Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady), unpeeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup almond or olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, toast the pecans, stirring often, until browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, then lay each section on its side and slice with a mandolin or use a knife to slice down as thinly as possible, as if you’re shaving the cabbage. As you get to the 0uter edge of the quarter, feel free to stop. It gets too difficult to thinly cut at that point. You should have 8 cups of cabbage. Toss the cabbage with the apples, dates, cilantro and shallot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad and toss. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.