Ingredients (Items in bold can be purchased from Grobe Fruit Farm when in season)
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 tablespoon for the baking dish, 2 tablespoons for light brown sugar topping
- 12 cups cubed croissants (6 to 8 large)
- 4 cups blueberries or blackberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- Cool whip topping
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease 9 x 13 x 3-inch (deep) baking dish with the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Spread the croissant cubes evenly in the dish. Top with the berries.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer), beat the 9 tablespoons butter with the granulated sugar on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the cream, buttermilk, vanilla, and salt (the mixture may appear curdled).
- Pour over the croissants and berries in the baking dish
- In a separate bowl mix the last 2 tablespoons of butter with the light brown sugar, sprinkle on top.
- Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Serve warm with cool whip topping.
Makes 12 servings