Ingredients (Items in bold can be purchased from Grobe Fruit Farm when in season)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s
- 8 slices of French bread or country loaf
- 8 slices of Havarti cheese
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- Leave from 1 small bunch of basil, torn
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides of each slice of bread. ON each of 4 slices of bread, layer 1 slice of cheese, 2 tomatoes slices, a scattering of basil leaves, and another slice of cheese. Place remaining bread slices on top of each.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Toast the sandwiches until nicely browned on both sides and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes, flipping the sandwiches about halfway through cooking. Reduce the heat to medium if the sandwiches are browning too quickly.
- Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings